- Edinburgh revealed to be home to the biggest binge watchers, with one in nine residents watching at least 35 hours of TVeach week
- Over 6% spend £71- £80 each month on TVsubscription services, yet only manage to watch less than five episodes a week
- The average Brit pays just 65p per episode watched on their subscription service
The average Brit pays just 65p per episode watched on their TV subscription services, a new survey by Ebuyer.com has revealed.
The UK’s largest independent tech retailer surveyed the nation to find out about our TV viewing habits, and if we really get value for money from our subscription services.
The research revealed that the average Brit gets through 16 episodes of TV a week, and pays £42 a month for TV subscription services – paying an average of just 65p per episode.
Not all viewers are getting value for money, however, as the research revealed that one in 16 (6%) Brits pay up to £80 for subscription services but watch less than five episodes a week – skyrocketing their cost per episode to £4.
Sky was named the most popular subscription service, with half of respondents signed up to the TV giant, and over a third (34%) are also signed up to Netflix. Men were more likely to invest in their binge watching habits, with one in 20 (5%) spending up to £90 a month.
Edinburgh residents were revealed to be the biggest binge watchers, with one in nine residents powering through 35 hour-long episodes a week; the equivalent of a full time working week. The top cities for residents watching 35 hours of TV a week are:
- Edinburgh (11%)
- Liverpool (9%)
- Cardiff (7%)
- Glasgow (7%)
- Norwich (7%)
Lee Weymouth, Commercial Director at Ebuyer.com, said: “It’s great to see that Brits are getting value for money from their subscription services, and with some great TV coming up this winter, now is the perfect time to invest in the best service for you. However, if you are in the group that is guilty of spending over £80 a month but can only fit in less than five episodes a week, it might be worth reviewing what you are currently signed up for.
“We also looked into how viewers can watch the most popular shows so far this year for the lowest cost. Six of the top ten shows this year are available on Netflix UK, and as this is one of the cheapest subscriptions services on the market, this looks to be the best value for those looking to find their next TV addiction.”
The most popular shows of 2017 so far are:
- Game of Thrones (available on Now TV/ Sky)
- The Walking Dead (available on Amazon Prime)
- Pretty Little Liars (available on Netflix UK)
- Prison Break (available on Netflix UK)
- Vikings (available on Amazon Prime)
- The Big Bang Theory (available on Netflix UK)
- The Flash (available on Now TV/ Sky)
- 13 Reasons Why (available on Netflix UK)
- The Vampire Diaries (available on Netflix UK)
- Sherlock (available on Netflix UK)
With a six month subscription service costing you just £44.94, if you were to binge watch every single episode of the top 10 shows in this time that are available on Netflix, each episode would cost you just 0.07p.
To view Ebuyer’s range of televisions and it’s latest deals, visit: http://www.ebuyer.com/store/Visual/cat/Televisions.