- 28% plan on upgrading their smartphone to one of the latest iPhone models
- 31% of smartphone users will be switching to an Android phone when their next upgrade is due
- The most common reason for upgrading to the iPhone X is that Apple’s latest models offer the best technical specification available
2017 marks the 10th anniversary of Apple’s iPhone, and to celebrate, Apple has released three new iPhones; the iPhone 8, 8 Plus and the iPhone X (pronounced “ten”).
New research from mobile phone insurance specialist Insurance2Go has revealed that 28% of all smartphone users said that they’d upgrade to a new iPhone model (iPhone 7, 8 or X) when their upgrade is due, with 12% of these specifically saying they would choose the iPhone X as their next handset.
With the removal of touch ID, the home button, and addition of facial recognition, glass body, and wireless charging, it’s not entirely surprising that the iPhone X had sold out during the pre-order period.
The top five reasons why smartphone users said they would upgrade to an iPhone X are:
- Apple offers the best technical specification of handsets (42%)
- I currently have an iPhone and I don’t want to change (39%)
- iPhones are ‘cooler’ than any other handset (38%)
- I have lots of other Apple products that I want to be able to connect to (38%)
- It’s the most aesthetically pleasing handset on the market (27%)
However the iPhone X isn’t for everyone – among reasons given against an upgrade included the iPhone X being too expensive (57%) at £999, while others stated that they don’t think it is an improvement on previous models (19%).
The results also highlight that Apple hasn’t quite shaken off their main competitor yet, with almost a third (31%) of those surveyed saying they would choose an Android device for their next upgrade. More than three in ten (31%) of current smartphone owners are still unsure what they’d like to do once their current contract ends and 1 in 10 (10%) would like to end their contract altogether.
Gary Beeston, Marketing & Sales Director of Insurance2go said: “Although we’ve seen the likes of Samsung challenge Apple for the top spot over the past few years, the nation’s brand loyalty to Apple products is clear – branching out to tech all around the home, not just smartphones.
“The gap between the brands is slowly closing, though, so it will be exciting to see what other surprises Apple has in store for us in order to keep its loyal following happy.”
For everything you need to know about the iPhone X, from design to new features head to https://www.insurance2go.co.uk/media-centre/2017/september/13/apple-releases-details-of-the-iphone-x-iphone-8-and-8-plus/
NEWS4 days ago
Henry Kissinger, American diplomat and Nobel winner, dead at 100
BUSINESS4 days ago
Tevfik Arif: Architect of Success in Business Ventures
NEWS3 days ago
After Musk tirade, X faces prospect of more advertisers fleeing
INVESTING3 days ago
How Much Should I Allocate to Pre-IPO Investments? Thanks to Linqto, Not as Much as You Think!