Subscription revenues of $463.6 million, up 37% year over year; total revenues of $555.4 million, up 34% year over year
- Total revenues were $555.4 million, an increase of 34.3% from the third quarter of fiscal 2017. Subscription revenues were $463.6 million, an increase of 37.2% from the same period last year.
- Operating loss was $80.1 million, or negative 14.4% of revenues, compared to an operating loss of $105.9 million, or negative 25.6% of revenues, in the same period last year. Non-GAAP operating profit for the third quarter was $50.1 million, or 9.0% of revenues, compared to a non-GAAP operating profit of $8.0 million, or 1.9% of revenues, in the same period last year.1
- Net loss per basic and diluted share was $0.41, compared to a net loss per basic and diluted share of $0.55 in the third quarter of fiscal 2017. Non-GAAP net income per diluted share was $0.24, compared to a non-GAAP net income per diluted share of $0.05 in the same period last year.1
- Operating cash flows for the third quarter were $144.0 million and free cash flows were $107.7 million. For the trailing twelve months, operating cash flows were $448.9 million and free cash flows were $311.2 million.2
- Cash, cash equivalents and marketable securities were $3.2 billion as of October 31, 2017. Unearned revenues were over $1.2 billion, a 21.5% increase from the same period last year.
Comments on the news
Workday had a great third quarter, driving demand across all product areas and geographies, expanding our value proposition with the delivery of new products, and once again demonstrating our commitment to keeping customer satisfaction among the highest in the industry,” said AneelBhusri, co-founder and CEO, Workday. The outlook for the remainder of fiscal 2018 and beyond is bright as we continue to add new customers for HCM and Financial Management, and unlock new growth drivers such as Workday Prism Analytics and the Workday Cloud Platform.
We delivered another strong quarter with subscription revenue up 37%, driven by strong net new customer growth, continued add on sales with existing customers, and high renewal rates,” said Robynne Sisco, chief financial officer, Workday. As we head into our seasonally strongest quarter, we are raising our fiscal 2018 outlook and are now expecting subscription revenue of $1.780 to $1.782 billion, or growth of 38%. We continue to invest for long-term growth, while delivering consistently solid operating and cash flow margins.”
- Workday held its 11th annual customer conference, Workday Rising, bringing together more than 8,500 members of the Workday community for education and collaboration in Chicago.
- Workday once again achieved its goal to maintain a customer satisfaction rating over 95%, announcing that the company earned a 98% customer satisfaction rating for this year.
- Workday announced the availability of Workday Prism Analytics, which enables customers to bring together any data — including Workday data and data from any outside source — with leading-edge analytics tools to make better business decisions.
- Workday also announced the availability of Workday Benchmarking, the first offering delivered on Workday Data-as-a-Service. Workday Benchmarking provides key metrics to customers seeking a better understanding of their company’s relative performance in comparison to peers to help achieve optimal performance in their respective markets.
- Workday was positioned by Gartner, Inc. in the Leaders quadrant of “Magic Quadrant for Cloud Human Capital Management Suites for Midmarket and Large Enterprises.” Workday was acknowledged as a leader for the second year in a row and achieved the highest overall position for its ability to execute.3
- Workday was also positioned as a leader in “The Forrester Wave™: SaaS Human Resource Management Systems, Q3 2017,” a new report published by Forrester Research, Inc. Workday received the highest score in the strategy category and earned the highest possible scores in 16 criteria, including business vision, usability, and mobile.
Workday plans to host a conference call today to review its third quarter financial results and to discuss its financial outlook. The call is scheduled to begin at 2:00 p.m. PT/ 5:00 p.m. ET and can be accessed via webcast or through Workday’s Investor Relations website. The webcast will be available live, and a replay will be available following completion of the live broadcast for approximately 90 days.
Workday intends to use the Workday Blog as a means of disclosing material non-public information and for complying with its disclosure obligations under Regulation FD.